CurlScout is a marketplace where you can purchase unique natural hair products directly from vendors around the world. Whether you are looking for hair care products, accessories, tools or hair extensions, we want you to have a positive experience shopping on CurlScout. Please read on to find out more about your rights, as well as what is expected of you, as a buyer.
- Understanding CurlScout’s Limitations as a Marketplace
- Communicating with CurlScout Vendors
- Purchasing an Item on CurlScout
- International Orders
- Leaving a Review of a Product or Vendor
- Creating and Uploading Content
- Reporting a Problem with an Order or Returning an Item
1. Understanding CurlScout’s Limitations as a Marketplace
CurlScout or CurlScout.com (which we refer to as “CurlScout” throughout this policy) provides a venue for buyers to find, learn about, and enter into transactions with natural hair-focused vendors around the world. It is important to note, however, that CurlScout is not a part of that transaction. By shopping on CurlScout, you understand that:
- You are not buying directly from CurlScout, but from one of the many talented vendors on CurlScout;
- CurlScout does not pre-test all products and therefore does not guarantee or endorse any items sold on CurlScout; and
- Each vendor that CurlScout accepts has their own shop policies.
- From time to time, in order to receive the applicable amount of a refund that is due and payable to you, you may receive such refund as a credit to your PayPal account in multiple payments coming from the applicable vendor and/or from CurlScout.
As a user and member of our community we encourage our buyers to report any suspicious behavior and let us know if you believe a shop/vendor may be in violation of any of CurlScout’s policies.
2. Communicating with CurlScout Vendors
CurlScout Platform Communication
You can use (i) the contact form located on a vendor’s shop page to communicate directly with a vendor pre-sale and (ii) the Order Notes (each, a “Messaging Tool” and collectively the “Messaging Tools”) in your customer account to communicate directly with a vendor post-sale, and other Messaging Tools as CurlScout may make available to you from time to time. These Messaging Tools are the expected and required method of communication between buyers and vendors and are a great way to ask vendors any questions you have about an item or an order. CurlScout Messaging Tools and functionality may not be used for the following activities:
- Sending unsolicited advertising or promotions, requests for donations, or spam;
- Contacting someone after they have explicitly asked you not to; or
- Interfering with a transaction or the business of another vendor.
Interference occurs when a buyer intentionally interferes with another vendor’s shop in order to drive away their business. Interference is strictly prohibited on CurlScout. Examples of interference include:
- Contacting another user via any functionality made available by CurlScout to warn them away from a particular user, shop, vendor or item;
- Posting in public areas to demonstrate or discuss a dispute with another user;
- Purchasing from a vendor for the sole purpose of leaving a negative review;
- Maliciously clicking on a competitor’s Promoted Listings advert in order to drain that user or vendor’s advertising budget, also known as “click fraud.”
3. Purchasing an Item on CurlScout
When you buy from a shop on CurlScout, you’re directly supporting an independent, woman-of-color owned beauty business, each with its unique listings, policies and processing times. By making a purchase from a vendor on CurlScout, you agree that you:
- Have read the item description and shop policies before making a purchase;
- Have submitted appropriate payment for item(s) purchased; and
- Have provided accurate shipping information to CurlScout and the vendor.
4. International Orders
Some of our vendors ship internationally. Please check the applicable vendor’s policies to determine if a vendor ships internationally, what countries they ship to and any additional cost that may be incurred before placing an order and contact the vendor if you have any specific question about an international purchase order. Please note that you, the buyer, are responsible for any VAT, tariff, duty, taxes, handling fees, customs clearance charges, etc. required by your country for importing consumer goods. Neither CurlScout nor its vendors collect this beforehand, and can’t give you an estimate of the cost, because it varies widely around the world. Please do your research so you’re ready to get your package cleared through customs, and have an idea of what the additional cost will be.
Orders from and shipped to countries outside of the United States are final sale and may not be returned or refunded, unless due to an error/issue caused by the vendor (e.g. such as the wrong item was received). International customers should contact the vendor directly via the Order Notes if such an issue arises.
5. Leaving a Review of a Product or Vendor
Reviews are a great way to learn about a vendor’s products, share your experiences with a product, help good vendors build a strong reputation, or help warn other buyers about a poor experience.
You can leave a review, including a one to five star rating after you have made purchase on CurlScout. You can edit your review at any time.
By leaving a review, you acknowledge that:
- Your review and profile information will be publicly displayed on the vendor’s product listing or storefront (as applicable) and review pages or anywhere CurlScout may make the review available from time to time.
- Reviews may not:
- Contain private information;
- Contain obscene, racist, or harassing language;
- Contain prohibited medical drug claims;
- Contain advertising or spam;
- Be about things outside the vendor’s control, such as a shipping carrier, CurlScout or a third party; or
- Undermine the integrity of the Reviews system.
- Extortion is not allowed on CurlScout. Any attempt to manipulate reviews through threats, intimidation, or bribery is considered extortion and is strictly prohibited on CurlScout. Examples of extortion include the following:
- A buyer leaves a negative review in an attempt to force the vendor into providing additional items that were not agreed upon in the original transaction.
- A buyer leaves a negative review in an attempt to force the vendor into providing a refund when a refund is not warranted.
- Attempts to fraudulently inflate a vendor’s or a product’s reputation by use of an alternate account to make a vendor or product look more desirable by increasing the number of sales and overall review score is strictly prohibited. Not only does it violate our core value of transparency, but it is considered to be a deceptive business practice by the US Federal Trade Commission. Reviews must reflect the honest, unbiased opinions, findings, beliefs, or experience of the buyer.
6. Creating and Uploading Content
As a user and buyer of CurlScout, you have the opportunity to create and upload a content. In order to keep our community safe and respectful, you agree that you will not upload content that is:
- Obscene or vulgar;
- In violation of someone else’s privacy or intellectual property rights; or
- False, deceptive, or misleading.
7. Reporting a Problem with an Order or Returning an Item
CurlScout’s Case System
Although CurlScout is not directly involved in a transaction between a buyer and a vendor, we provide a case system in the unlikely event your purchase from a vendor does not go as expected. You can use CurlScout’s case system to Open a Case and Report a problem with a order if you need assistance with coming to a resolution with the vendor in the event of a non-delivery or if an item you receive is not as described in the listing. By using our case system, you understand that we may use your personal information for the purpose of resolving disputes with vendors. You can file a case under the following circumstances:
A non-delivery occurs when a buyer places an order and submits payment, but the vendor does not ship the item or does not ship the item to the correct address. The following are examples of non-delivery cases:
- An item was never sent.
- An item was not sent to the address provided on CurlScout.
- There is no proof that the item was shipped to the buyer’s address.
Not as Described
An item is not as described if it is materially different from the vendor’s listing description. Here are a few examples of not as described cases:
- The item received is a different color, model, version, or size.
- The item has a different design or material.
- The item was advertised as virgin, unprocessed or human but is not.
- The item is used, worn or damaged.
- A buyer purchased three items from a vendor but only received two.
If CurlScout determines that an item is not as described, the vendor will be required to refund the original shipping and return shipping, in addition to the cost of the item. In the event that CurlScout needs to refund the return shipping or other cost on behalf of the vendor, that refund may come in the form of a PayPal credit or other means as determined by CurlScout.
Some disputes don’t qualify for use of the CurlScout case system. These include without limitation:
- Items that have been purchased in person or outside of the CurlScout platform.
- Services or prohibited items.
- Transactions where payment is not made through Paypal.
- Items that are returned without a return agreement.
- Items that have been open, altered, used, worn, or washed after receiving them.
- Physical or tangible items that are not available for return because they have been destroyed or discarded by the buyer.
- Items that are received after the agreed-upon delivery date due to shipping delays.
- Cost of shipping disputes.
We do not allow cancellation of orders. Buyers do not have access to functionality to cancel a transaction after checkout is completed. If you determine you need to make a change to your order, you agree that you will follow the return process to resolve your issue in accordance with our policies and procedures as well as the Vendor Return Policy.
Returning an Item
Each vendor has his or her own return policies, which should be outlined under the ‘Policies’ tab in their shop. In some limited cases as determined by CurlScout, a vendor may not accept returns (which will be outlined in the shop policies or where otherwise determined by CurlScout). If you reside in the European Union, you may be entitled to a 14-day “cooling off period,” or a “right of withdrawal,” during which you may return an item for any reason. See Requesting a Return and Refund for more information.
Last Updated: March 10, 2018